Smathers Libary East Early Photo Smathers East:  Library


The University Library, completed in 1926, represented commitment to the scholarly materials which are the foundation of a university. Along with the Auditorium, the Library represents the zenith of the work of University Architect from 1905-1925, William Augustus Edwards. The compatibility of later additions is evident in the Southwest entry to the wing designed by Architect Rudolph Weaver. The present entry foyer was designed by Guy Fulton, who took the reins as third University Architect in 1944, and continues the tradition of compatible evolution. The original reading room now houses University and Florida archives, as well as the 1954 mural “The History of Learning in Florida” by University art professor Hollis Holbrook. The entrance to the library on the West side is noted by a small courtyard and historic Italian marble well head.

Character Defining Featurs


  • SCALE camera
  •           2-1/2 and 3-1/2 stories

  • MASSING camera
  •           L shape plan

              Cross gable bays every 4th by on north facade


  • ROOF
  •           Gables adn cross gables

              Shed dormers

  • ENTRANCES camera
  •          Rectangle at ends on long side and in the L

  • WINDOWS camera
  •           Wood

              4 over 4 ligh double hung, paired

              3rd floor pointed arches over windows

  • MATERIALS camera
  •           Brick is Common Cross Bond

              6th course Flemish header

              Flat arch soldier above windows

              Flat clay tile, variegated colors (ochre, reds, olive greens) with "bump" ridge tiles

  •           Cast stone sills

              Water table above first floor

              Around Entrances

  •           Reading Room

  •           Defines Northeast corner of the Plaza space

              Defines open space with Anderson Hall to North


    Smathers Library East


    Architect:  William Augustus Edwards, 1926; Rudolph Weaver; Guy Fulton, 1948

    Contractor:  Jack Culpepper

    Building Name:  University Library until 1967; Library East 1967-1991; George A. Smathers in 1991


    Smathers Library West


    Primary Navigation

    << UF Historic Campus Home


    University of Florida
    Preservation Document Links







    University of Florida
    Historic Preservation Links







    State and National Preservation Links