Peabody Hall Peabody Hall:  College for Teachers


A major gift of $40,000 from the George Peabody Foundation helped complete the first College for Teachers in 1913. The College of Education moved to new quarters in Norman Hall in 1934. Once the site for printing the Florida Alligator newspaper, Peabody Hall was renovated in 1990 as part of the Criser Student Services Center by VOA Architects of Orlando. At the focal point of the courtyard framed by Peabody, Criser Hall, and the Library is a sculpture depicting President Albert Murphree, 2nd President of UF, created in 1946 by Paul Manship, sculptor of the Prometheus at Rockefeller Center.

Character Defining Features


  • SCALE camera
  •           2-1/2 stories and basement

              High water table level

  • MASSING camera
  •           Rectangular with projecting end pavilions and central pavilion

  • ROOF camera
  •           Gable

  • ENTRANCES camera
  •           Short ends of rectangle and center under cross gable

              "Gothic" revival door pattern

  • WINDOWS camera
  •           12 over 12 light single hung

              Replacement sash

  • MATERIALS camera
  •           Brick is Common Bond

              6th course Flemish Bond

              Jack arches at basement windows

              "French" light red clay tiles with "bump" ridge tile

              Copper downspouts, scuppers, and conductor heads

  •           Cast stone water table

              Cast stone finials and entrance surrounds

              Cast stone lintels and sills

  •           Faces Plaza space and building mass aligns with Griffin-Floyd Hall


    Peabody Hall


    Architect: William Augustus Edwards

    Building Name:  George Peabody Hall for the Teachers College, funded by the George Peabody Foundation


    Primary Navigation

    << UF Historic Campus Home


    University of Florida
    Preservation Document Links







    University of Florida
    Historic Preservation Links







    State and National Preservation Links