Griffin-Floyd Hall Griffin-Floyd Hall:  College of Agriculture


The College of Agriculture, completed in 1912, reflected the University commitment to the agriculture interests of the state. Terra cotta reliefs of cornucopia spilling a wealth of fruits and vegetables over two of the entrances symbolize the bounty of the stateís agricultural resources. A stock judging arena and farm machinery room were adjacent to administrative offices and classrooms. Griffin-Floyd Hall was restored in 1992 with the support of Ben Hill Griffin, Jr.

Character Defining Features


  • SCALE camera
  •           2-1/2 stories

  •           Rectangular

              Center cross gable

              Projecting end bays, 3 bays wide

              Central double loaded corridor

  • ROOF
  •           Gable roof

              Integral gutter within cornice molding

              Clay tile with "bump" tile ridge

  • ENTRANCES camera
  •           Central under cross gable on east and south facades

  • WINDOWS camera
  •           Double Hung 9 over 9 light

              Double Hung 12 over 12 light

  • MATERIALS camera
  •           Brick is Common bond

              6th course Flemish bond

              Roof is light red clay tiles

  •           Cast stone water table with sloped profile

              Cast lintels and sills

              Terracotta cornucopia above entrances

  •           Original Stairs

              Sensitive Restoration

  •           Anchors the Southwest corner of the Plaza

              Aligns with Peabody Hall across the Plaza


    Griffin-Floyd Hall


    Architect:  William Augustus Edwards

    Contractor:  Chalker & Lund Co.

    Building Name:  Major Wilbur L. Floyd in 1930s; Ben Hill Griffin, Jr., 1992, originally the Agriculture Building


    Primary Navigation

    << UF Historic Campus Home


    University of Florida
    Preservation Document Links







    University of Florida
    Historic Preservation Links







    State and National Preservation Links