Weil Hall Weil Hall


Completed in 1949 (the first phase in 1947), Weil Hall has served as the University’s main Engineering and Industries Building. Since Weil is located just across Stadium Road, early engineering students could get a great view of Gator football games right from their classroom windows. Weil Hall continues the Collegiate Gothic campus features of red brick laid in English cross bond, clay tile gable roof with intersecting gables, and cast trim details in the increased scale of the mid-century campus buildings. The strong East-West axis, emphasized by water table and parapet coping, is punctuated with projecting bays and cast quoin corners. The hallways are wide and in the administration area, located in the east end, tile wainscot has been placed from the floor up the wall to approximately 48 inches, creating a datum, broken by doors. The building name is incised in the arched limestone entrance.

Character Defining Features


  • SCALE camera
  •           2-1/2 stories

  • MASSING camera
  •           E shape plan

  • ROOF
  •           Gabale roof with hip roof dormers

  • ENTRANCES camera
  •          The primary entrance is in a modified tower facing the road

  • WINDOWS camera
  •           9 over 9 lights

              In singles and triples


  •           Brick is English bond

              Soldier course headers

              Flat red clay tile and flat ridge caps

  •           Cast stone copings at gable ends

              Entrance surrounds

              Cast stone sills

  •           Slightly set back from road with sidewalk in front


    Weil Hall


    Architect:  Guy Rulton

    Building Name:  Joseph Weil, Dean of the College of Engineering


    Primary Navigation

    << UF Historic Campus Home


    University of Florida
    Preservation Document Links







    University of Florida
    Historic Preservation Links







    State and National Preservation Links