The Hub The Infirmary


The Infirmary was designed in 1931 by Rudolph Weaver as a central pavilion with wings on either side, adapting the Collegiate Gothic to the medical and health care needs of the students. Whimsical figures depicting medical themes enliven the main entrances. In 1947, Guy Fultonís addition of a compatible South wing continued Weaverís design and provided a residence for nurses.

Character Defining Features


  • SCALE camera
  •           2-1/2 with basement 3-1/2 stories

  • MASSING camera
  •           L shape plan with additions

              Central gable

  • ROOF
  •           Gable

              Shed dormers alternating with narrow cross gable parapets

  • ENTRANCES camera
  •           Under cross gable with Oriel window

  • WINDOWS camera
  •           6 over 6 light double hung

  • MATERIALS camera
  •           Brick is English Bond

              Soldier course at basement, first floor and rowlocks at 2nd floor

              Orange, red and flashed flat clay tiles with "bump" ridge tiles

  •           Water table with small half round and larger quarter round

              Cut limestone sills

              Copper downspouts and conductors

  •           Set back from road and defines open space within L plan shape


    The Infirmary


    Architect:  Rudolph Weaver

    Contractor:  H. F. Perry, Jr.


    Primary Navigation

    << UF Historic Campus Home


    University of Florida
    Preservation Document Links







    University of Florida
    Historic Preservation Links







    State and National Preservation Links