Florida Gymnasium Florida Gymnasium


After completion of the Florida Gym or “Alligator Alley” in 1949, the historic Gymnasium became the Women’s Gym to house women’s athletic programs for the newly coeducational university. Athletic and military drill fields were considered from the earliest plan for the land grant university. The original athletic field was Fleming Field, just north of the present stadium. The Florida Pool was completed in 1929 and construction began on Florida Field. The stadium was built into a natural bowl and the upper seats were at ground level. The track field, Percy Beard Field, was on the South end of the stadium. Florida Gym was located directly East of Florida Field. The simplified Collegiate Gothic façade was the gateway for sports events, rock concerts, and graduations until completion of the O’Connell Center “O’Dome.” The building was rehabilitated for use by the Department of Recreational Sports and the College of Health and Human Performance.

Character Defining Features


  • SCALE camera
  •           2 stories

  •           Rectangular

  • ROOF
  •           Gable

  • ENTRANCES camera
  •           Central tower entrance with cast stone surrounds

  • WINDOWS camera
  •           Single and paired groups

              12 light aluminum replacement

              Horizontal sliding

  •           Brick is English bond

              Soldier courses over shallow arches at window openings along east and west facades

              Copper downspouts with square brackets and conductor heads

  •           Cast stone parapet cap, cornice line, entrance surround

              Water table high on facade

              Simplified ornamental detail characteristic of the period

  •           Central gym space

  •           Entranace on central axis to street

              Area of higher density bounded by Stadium Road and The Swamp


    Dauer Hall


    Architect:  Rudolph Weaver and Guy Fulton (Design was begun during the 2nd World War, but the building was completed under Fulton)

    Contractor:  Chalker & Lund Co.


    Primary Navigation

    << UF Historic Campus Home


    University of Florida
    Preservation Document Links







    University of Florida
    Historic Preservation Links







    State and National Preservation Links