Dauer Hall Dauer Hall


The Florida Union, the present south wing of Dauer Hall, was completed in 1936. The funding drive was spearheaded by orator William Jennings Bryan, cousin of Board of Control Chair Nathan Bryan, with major contributions from the YMCA. The Union served as student center for “the boys from Old Florida” until completion of the Hub in 1950. Significant features include a Tudor chimney and bay window with universal and Florida regional symbols in stained glass, completed in 1938 by D'Ascengo Studios of Philadelphia. The Keene Faculty Center in the west wing now hosts small lectures and provides a reading room for faculty. Adjacent to this wing was the 1922 Johnson Hall Commons and Rathskeller, destroyed by fire in 1987.

Character Defining Features


  • SCALE camera
  •           3-1/2 stories

  • MASSING camera
  •           L shaped with projecting end blocks

  • ROOF camera
  •           Gable with flat parapet

  • ENTRANCES camera
  •           In bays adjacent to projecting ends

  • WINDOWS camera
  •           6 over 6 light

              Double hung

              Paired or individual

  • MATERIALS camera
  •           Brick is English bond

              Soldier courses over windows

              Copper downspouts with square brackets and conductor heads

  •           Cast stone entrance surrounds with pointed arches

              Cast stone lintels, sills and quoins

              Water table is half round with bulging torus

              Flat variegated clay tile with "bump" ridge tiles

  •           Keene Faculty Center

  •           Set back from street and plan shape defines a small rear courtyard


    Dauer Hall


    Architect:  Rudolph Weaver

    Building Name:  Manning Dauer, Jr., established the Political Science Department


    Primary Navigation

    << UF Historic Campus Home


    University of Florida
    Preservation Document Links







    University of Florida
    Historic Preservation Links







    State and National Preservation Links